Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Big Foot

Adventures in Shoe Shopping!

Now I've always thought that my size 8 feet were fairly "normal" and sort of middle of the road.  Whenever there were sales at the mall, there were never (hardly ever anyway) size 8 shoes left, so I always knew there were plenty of others with my size.

Then I moved to Nepal and found out that my feet are not middle of the road anymore!  Apparently size 8 is not so common.  When scanning the shoe aisles, I find plenty of shoes I'd like to try on.

Then when I ask if there is this or that shoe in size 39 (what size 8 is here) I get a look of doubt and am told, "Well, I'm not sure if we have any THAT big, but I'll look."  !!!  😊😀

Most of the time they're right!  Occasionally though, they DO find something THAT big and I have been able to buy a couple of pairs of nice shoes.

Today, we were shopping with Jenny, our student missionary. 

She checked out a few pairs of shoes too.  She didn't get these: 

 ...or these:

 Ramon suggested these:

...but she didn't take his suggestion.  She went with a cute pair of tan sandals. 
Here we are waiting for the girls to find us some shoes THAT big.  (She wears size 8/39 too.)

Well, I needed some walking shoes and finally found some sturdy looking ones that could withstand the rocks and ruts in the pathways and looked like they might, just might, fit me.  The girl helping us sent a young man to the back to find, "the biggest ones you can find," as I heard her tell him. 😊   He came back holding this box:
(Yes, this is the box!!!)

He very politely, seriously, and quietly (so as not to embarrass me) said,
"Are you the lady with the big feet?"
😀😄😆
"Yes, that's me," I said.

😊

Well, folks, here are my new Harry Potter walking shoes--
the only walking shoes I could find in Kathmandu for my big feet!  
By the way, they're SUPER comfortable!

(2017 update--they lasted about five years!)

No comments:

Post a Comment