Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Money

Here in Nepal, the currency is the Nepalese Rupee which was introduced in 1932.  From the middle of the 17th century until 1932, silver and gold coins called mohars were used.  (I suppose if I ever run across some of those, they would be worth something!)
 
From 1932 until 1951 only coins were used.  In 1951 the banknotes for 1, 5, 10, and 100 rupees were issued and in the 1970s the 50, 500, and 1000 notes were issued.  In the early '80s, the 20 notes and the one for 2 rupees came out (the 1 rupee notes had been discontinued, and I've heard that the 2 rupee notes are also now discontinued).

The current exchange rate is about 74.5 rupees per dollar.

Here is what the money looks like:

Here, take a look up close and see how interesting it is:



The shopkeeper who gave me that 1 rupee note in change told me to keep it as a keepsake.   By the way, the coins are called paisa and there are 100 of them in a rupee.

I bought this wallet so I can be organized:

Shopping anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment