Sunday, October 31, 2010

Thank you Mom!


My mom is a pianist/organist and the piano especially is one of her loves.  Her dream was to have both of her daughters follow in her footsteps.  However, neither one of us had the same dream.  This didn't stop her from trying though!  My sister and I had no choice--we had to take lessons.  Mom was my first teacher.


This didn't last long (I'll spare you the crying scenes) and soon I got a "real" teacher (--a very patient soul)!  I sort of felt like this:  

Well, I actually took lessons for eight years (I was allowed to stop when I could play hymns), but of course I didn't practice like I should have.

But Mom never gave up!  This is what I said to myself (but not outloud!!!) when she made me play in front of visitors:

She would call to me like this when I was practicing:
...only she would say, "Your timing's off!" or "Do that again." or "Don't even think of stopping now!"  

Mom's theme was, "One day you'll thank me!!!"  "One day you'll live somewhere where there's a need for a pianist and THEN you'll thank me!!!"  "I promise that one day you'll be glad you know how to play the piano and then you'll thank me!"  "Don't give up!  You'll never regret knowing how to play the piano!  You'll see.  You'll thank me one day!"   


Well, folks, the day has come!!!!!  I really AM glad I can play the piano!  I really DON'T regret learning how to play!  I really DO and HAVE lived where there has been a need for a pianist!  So, without further ado:
THANK YOU MOM!!!!!
 
Here I am playing here at our little church in Nepal, and my mind is on my mom and how really thankful I am that she made me take piano lessons!
Again, thank you Mom!
 

2 comments:

  1. I bet your mom will be beaming when she reads this. :)
    I had a few years of piano lessons too, but have let what I knew "die".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Kathy!!! Keep up the practicing. I'm sure your mom is thrilled to finally be appreciated for all those years of listening to the same pieces over and over and over again! Have a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete