Saturday, January 21, 2012

Happy Holidays, Part 2 (Yes, I know it's late!)

Well, since it's still January, I am going to post Part 2 of "Happy Holidays!"  Sorry I'm a little behind schedule, but maybe one day (ONE DAY) I'll catch up!  I don't know about you, but I can't seem to catch up on everything I need to do!  I guess I need to hire a secretary!

Before I finish telling about our holidays, I'll show you what we found in Thamel, Kathmandu, which is a fun place to shop, holiday or no:
 It's a little smaller than your average Walmart in America, but hey, it's a Wal-Mart!  :)  If you're ever in the vicinity, it's near here:
near the end of this street:

If you're lucky, during the winter, this is what you see when you're driving in and out of Kathmandu:
The majesty of the Himalayas, which we often see this time of year, is always breathtaking!

Since Christmas is a "newish" holiday here in Nepal, and New Year's Day is during "our" April, everything is pretty much "business as usual" around here during December and January.  However, we still enjoyed ourselves because we were together and that is the main thing--right?

As you know from the last post, the kids at school put on a great program for their parents.  I was so proud of them and they were proud of themselves, as they should have been.  The nursing students at the hospital's nursing school (along with some hospital workers) put on a Christmas pageant that turned out to be quite nice!  There were two showings so if you were busy during one, you could make the other.  Our own Dr. Sartin sang two songs.

Shea, our friend and Muscular Dystrophy Center of Kavre volunteer, played a Roman soldier.  Way to go Shea!  You were very convincing!  (To find out more about the center, and how you may be able to help if you can, head over to their website:  mdcenternepal.com, where you will find out more about this wonderful center that is the only such place of its kind in all of Kavre and runs solely on prayers and donations.)
Herod was played by Raphael, one of our Physical Therapists.
All the cast did an excellent job--congrats!


On Christmas Eve Sabbath, we had a lovely Sabbath School with our little cuties!
 Then we had a lunch on Sabbath and on Sunday, Christmas day--it was really fun to be together with the whole church family both days.

We hope everyone reading this is off to a good start to their 2012 and we wish you all the best in your life this year!  Take care and God bless!
Bye!



2 comments:

  1. Hi, And "Happy Holidays" to you too! Now we will have to wait for Nepal's New Year in April to see how they celebrate it. Aunt Vickie and I enjoyed all the pictures. We think that Shea really look good as a soldier! And, on the previous pictures, Liesl looked great as a choir director! :) I love you all and miss you lots!
    Love, Mom and Aunt Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  2. WAL-MART!? Wow. As always, I love your pictures and descriptions. :)

    ReplyDelete