Saturday, May 7, 2011

Riding in Buses with Crowds!

Recently I had my first bus ride in Asia!  Ramon was busy and unable to go when I went with some of the other missionaries to see the lovely mountain view in the nearby town of Dhulikhel. 

Here is "our bus" rounding the corner to the stop where we were waiting.  I'm not sure if we were actually at a bus stop.  When it came near, everyone waved their hands and it stopped!
You can see that it wasn't so crowded that people did not have to sit on the top like you often see here.

However, it still was crowded, and this is the view I had when I got inside.

I had to hold on to the top rail with one hand, and stand against the seat closest to me to keep myself from falling.  Yes, it was crowded, but I must say it was not as crowded as the London Underground Tube ride I took during rush hour when I could not bring my outstretched hand to my side!  :)  As you can see, I could move my hand around to take pictures (as my other hand firmly gripped the rail) and the people I bumped into as the bus bumped along graciously smiled each time I bumped them!

At each stop, more people got on.

Soon my view was like this...  

and this after a bump.

Here is all I could see of the view outside.

I worried about these boys (including two that you can't see), but they were not worried at all!  They played and joked with each other right there in the open doorway as the bus sped along.

Another bump

and it was time to get off.

As we exited, we paid our fee of about ten cents to the "bus boy."

Thanks for the good job Driver!  May you have a successful career!

Now we just need to ride in a rickshaw

and a Tuk Tuk (the three-wheeled taxis).

This one thing I do know, it will be some time before I ever drive here!
(Ramon says he can wait before he drives too!)

Safe travels to all, however you're traveling!


3 comments:

  1. Ok, that bus ride looked pretty chaotic to me! But the streets look similar to Asuncion. Pretty full and more taxis than cars.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like quite the experience! Thanks for sharing that with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, I hope that you don't make it a habit of riding in those buses! It looked scary to me!
    But, I did enjoy the pictures. Were you there to shop or just sight seeing? Hope to hear from you soon. Lots of love, Mom

    ReplyDelete