Monday, February 21, 2011

Simply the Best!

In 1977 I went to England for a "semester abroad" to Newbold College, our Seventh-day Adventist college in Binfield, a little village outside of Bracknell, in Berkshire.  It was an amazingly lovely experience.  I lived in this beautiful old manor house which is the girls' dormitory.

In preparation for my trip, my parents bought this for me.

I needed it for my hair dryer, my cassette player so I could listen to my Barry Manilow and John Denver tapes (it WAS 1977 after all :)  -- actually I prepared to go in '76 and went in Jan. '77), and most importantly so I could clean my contacts!  Yes, back in those days you had to clean your contacts with this little machine (try as I might I couldn't find a picture of one) that steamed them.  (How happy we all were when they invented cleaning solution!  And on another note, how happy I was when lasik eye surgery was invented--but that's another story!)  Anyway, that little transformer was the little transformer that could!  I used it for many years for many trips and travels.

When I "retired" from overseas travel and stayed in my own country for awhile (lots to see there too!) I put it away.  SOMEHOW I found it (it wasn't lost!) when I first traveled to South America with Ramon a few years ago.  Since it was so old and hadn't been used in such a long time, we really didn't know if it would work.  I still had the instructions.

Notice the inside.

"Well," I said to Ramon, "apparently I own the world's finest precision made foreign voltage converter!"  :)  "We'll see,"  he said.  "If it still works, great!  If it doesn't, we'll just buy a new one."

When we got to Paraguay, we (my mother-in-law too) watched with keen anticipation as we plugged in my curling iron.  Would it work?  YES!  It was still working perfectly after all these years!!!

Now, 35 years old, it's still working like it was brand new!  They were right!  It IS the world's finest precision made foreign voltage converter!  :)  You will never convince me otherwise!  Since we arrived here in Nepal, I've used it every single day for my hot rollers.  Since the winter started, I've used it many times a day to heat my electric water bottle (couldn't find a heating pad, but love my electric water bottle)!
I had two of these (one started leaking and had to be thrown away) and heated them up one after the other all day long!

I'm starting to wonder:  How long will it keep working like it is still brand new???  Do you think they still make them this hardy?  Can I be in a TV commercial?  :)

Anyway, whatever my parents paid for it, we certainly got their money's worth, wouldn't you say?!?!?

Well, have a nice day and I hope you have something that's "simply the best" too!      



2 comments:

  1. What a great story! Sometimes I try to count up all the things that have gone obsolete since I was in school. It's scary how long the list is. It's nice to know some old things are still useful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, I can't believe that the thing still works after all these years! Dad would love this. Keep warm. I love you, Mom
    PS: I think that I sent this, but it didn't come up on my computer. If you got it and this is a repeat, I am sorry. You know how stupid I am with this computer! :)

    ReplyDelete