Sunday, January 30, 2011

I Never Thought I'd Say This...

I never thought I'd EVER say this:  "Apparently we have two cats!"  "What's that?" you say.  "I thought you were allergic to cats?"  "Yes, I'm very allergic to cats!"  "What gives?"  Here's what gives:  Remember back in November, I found this little family on the balcony of our apartment building?  (Check out the November 2010 archives if you missed it.)

Yes, they were SO adorable and CUTE!  Well, we don't know what happened to the cutie on the top, but the one on the bottom (I named him/her Little One) and the mother (I named her The Mom :) )  appear to be living under the step to our apartment building

and/or inside our neighbor's gas container box!

Little One saw me coming, ran for cover, and then peeked out to see what I was up to!
How CUTE she is!
(I'm just presuming she's a she because she somehow seems feminine.)

We didn't feed them (AT FIRST) because I wanted them to go and eat wherever The Mom used to eat.  But they never left!  They seemed to feel comfortable "with us" and we couldn't stand to see them hungry--so we gave in and started feeding them.

You can almost imagine Little One's thoughts here:  "Shall I actually go out while she's standing there or not?  I am thirsty.  What to do???"

Eventually she lost her fear of me and seems to even like me!

Sometimes she even jumps up onto the kitchen window ledge, peeks in to see if I'm there and "talks" to me!

The Mom seems to sense that she's starting to like us and has started hissing at us like she's jealous!
The other day as she was hissing at me I looked right at her and said, "Honestly!!!  After all I've done for you!!!"  She looked contrite (really!) and bowed her head and started licking her paw.  I guess that means she'll try harder to be nice next time!  :)

So, as you can see, apparently we have cats!  I won't be petting them and they won't be coming inside, but they are cute and they have already killed two rats, so they are also pretty useful!  Besides, it's kind of nice to be greeted by them when we come home.   I don't know how long they'll stick around, but while they do, apparently we have cats!  :)

2 comments:

  1. We keep a cat for the same reason. They kill mice and snakes and are great for an occasional snuggle. :)
    Your look cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have the cat allergy thing, too, coupled with the fact that cats creep me out. But I am happy to let the handy stray ones eat our scraps and hang around OUTSIDE the house. I love to think of them prowling around killing vermin and protecting the house from freakier animals than they are! :)

    ReplyDelete